Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Master of NO Domain

"User unable to open links"

That is what my ticket informed is wrong with this "user". If only.

I go into the persons office, and find out that he is a web developer for FEMA, and he is currently working on a new site. However, he is unable to open links, but the people he sends the file to can. I begin to investigate.

Like any 'good tech', I sit down and begin clicking aimlessly to appear to look like I know what I'm doing. I click a few of the links, and everything appears to work fine.

The user comes back, and I explain to him that I am not having any problems opening links, but maybe I'm missing something. So, I repeat the steps I did, and show him that it works. He was amazed.

"How did you do that?"
"Well, I clicked on 'Preview in IE7 and then...."
"Oh... wait... preview in what now? Where is that?" He then proceeded to write down what to press, and where it was located. This button is not hard to find, it is located on the toolbar, and if you hover over it, a little popup appears that says "Preview in IE7".

I feel like if you are in charge of making a webiste for the government, you MIGHT need to know how to you know, develop websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment